A Few Words...

What is written here is my opinion and personal experience only. I am not qualified to give advice - medical, legal, or otherwise. Please be responsible and do your own research regarding treatments, diets, doctors, and alternative therapies.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Summer's About to Begin

I know the summer solstice is still two weeks away, but the last day of school is only two days away.

Typically, I sort of dread the end of school.  Yes, it's great not to have to pack lunches, do homework, and race around after school for practices and lessons.  But it also means we have to find ways to keep the kids entertained seven days a week.  How does the saying go?  "Idle minds are the devil's playground?"  Whoever said that had children!

But this year, I am feeling better than I have felt in two years.  In the past, the relentless attacks alternating with hyperacusis pretty much made every level of noise excruciating.  The echo of constant loud voices filling the house either made me a raving lunatic or forced me to retreat to my bedroom with the doors closed.  Not a fun mom.

However, currently my vertigo and most of my Meniere's symptoms are pretty well-controlled.  While the kids will be with the babysitter three days a week, I plan to keep them engaged with their friends and out-of-doors the other four.  I am looking forward to spending days at the pool, beach, museums, and wherever else the wind blows us.  I want the kids to have a fun, safe summer exploring their relationships with each other and their friends.  I wish things were still like they were when I was a kid, riding bikes all over the neighborhood and fending for ourselves, but they are not.  But I can still foster as much independence as possible and give the kids a chance enjoy these carefree times as much as possible.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you have a great summer!

    I'm so thankful that I still live in a neighborhood where the kids can ride their bikes and fend for themselves. The whole neighborhood looks out for them, they wander from house to house playing ball, and just being kids. It's nice. We do live in a pretty small neighborhood.

    happy summer.
    wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. summer has just begun for us too and we have started with a challenge. :( my daughter fractured her ankle and is in a cast. there go my plans for swimming lessons for the next 4 weeks. besides that, i can let my kids out to run the neighborhood normally as we live back in a small subdivision that is pretty safe. very, very hilly though. not very conducive to good bike riding. :)

    hope your summer is great!

    ReplyDelete