A Few Words...

What is written here is my opinion and personal experience only. I am not qualified to give advice - medical, legal, or otherwise. Please be responsible and do your own research regarding treatments, diets, doctors, and alternative therapies.

Saturday, May 24, 2014

Surgery! NOT on My Ear

Back in December, I went to the ER with symptoms resembling appendicitis.  While that was ruled out, several weeks and more tests later, an ovarian cyst was discovered.  Since it was causing me quite a bit of pain and discomfort, it had to come out.  So yesterday was the day.  I am happy to report that everything went smoothly and I am home, recovering.

The anesthesiologist was very kind.  He astutely noticed my history of Meniere's disease and introduced himself with a Scopolamine patch in-hand - just in case, he said, as he slapped it behind my ear.  While he meant well, when I got home I remembered how that drug made me feel: extremely dry mouth and double vision.  Since I have big plans to read a lot while recovering, the patch had to go.  Plus I didn't have any indications that my ear was acting up or that I would be dizzy.

Physically, I feel better today than I did yesterday - but this evening my ear is buzzing more than usual.  I hate that feeling!  I'm sure it must be from all the drugs I was given yesterday, not to mention the physical stress and inflammatory response of surgery.  So I'll just hope for the best that I wake up tomorrow back to my new-normal, soft hum.

Ironically, Phil and I both observed today that we were experiencing some PTSD flashbacks of me being confined to bed and him anxiously checking on me every 30 minutes or so to see if I needed anything.  I definitely hate lying in bed all day and I know it worries him when I have to be here.  At least this time around, I can get up and walk around any time I feel like it.  Even though I feel like someone literally kicked me in the gut, it's a million times better than even one of my mildest vertigo attacks.

I am just so glad this week is over.  In addition to the surgery, I also had two crowns replaced last week.  I am ready to put all of this behind me and continue enjoying life without vertigo, abdominal pain, and old crowns on my teeth.

1 comment: