A Few Words...

What is written here is my opinion and personal experience only. I am not qualified to give advice - medical, legal, or otherwise. Please be responsible and do your own research regarding treatments, diets, doctors, and alternative therapies.

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Damn, Jimmie!

One of my all-time favorite movies is Pulp Fiction.  There is a scene in the movie where Jimmie (Quentin Tarnatino) serves up an apparently damn good cup of coffee to Jules (Samuel L. Jackson).  Jules replies, "Mmmm! Goddamn, Jimmie! This is some serious gourmet shit! Usually, me and Vince would be happy with some freeze-dried Taster's Choice right, but he springs this serious GOURMET shit on us! What flavor is this?"  Since then, anytime I cook something particularly yummy, Phil and I will say to each other, "Damn, Jimmie!" a la Samuel L.

Tonight was one of those nights.  I saw this recipe on The Nate Berkus Show that I can't seem to find in print on his website at the moment.  Anyhoo, it was for a spaghetti sauce with shredded carrots in it.  I cooked up a pan and tossed it with whole wheat spaghetti.  To go with it I caramelized some fresh salmon filets that I marinated in balsamic vinegar first and sauteed thinly sliced yellow summer squash in a little olive oil and butter.

It was so good, my mouth is still watering, even though I am stuffed to the gills.  As per their usual m.o., the kids picked and complained.  They don't like squash (this really was good!) and were freaked out by the shredded carrots in their spaghetti sauce.  Maybe next time I will use my handy-dandy immersion blender to puree the sauce.  Though I thought the carrots added a wonderful texture and mouth feel, personally.

While on the subject of cooking and recipes, another one of my all-time favorite things is the Living Cookbook.  It is an AWESOME tool to organize and analyze recipes.  It also has a calendar and menu planning tool, as well as a shopping list generator and lots more.  I love, love, love it!  A big bonus for anyone watching their sodium is that a recipe or menu can be entered and analyzed for, among other things, sodium per serving.  For example, one serving from the above menu (salmon, spaghetti, and squash) has only 81 mg of sodium.  Good stuff...

No comments:

Post a Comment