A Few Words...

What is written here is my opinion and personal experience only. I am not qualified to give advice - medical, legal, or otherwise. Please be responsible and do your own research regarding treatments, diets, doctors, and alternative therapies.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Frankenstein

The last intratympanic gentamicin injection seems to be doing its job.  No more vertigo!  But part of the recovery process includes compensating for the loss of balance cells in the affected ear.  I am able to function pretty well in well-lit areas, though walking on the curbside of a sidewalk can be tricky.  However, walking in the dark is a whole other animal.  It turns out that, beside the ears, your eyes and body mechanics are the other components of balance (I mean, really - who thinks of this stuff unless it is forced upon you?).  Without a focal point to focus my eyes on, I sway like a drunken sailor in the dark.  To make matters worse, I have plantar faciaitis in my left foot which causes sharp heel pain, especially after a period of rest.

So night before last I get up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night and as I am bouncing from side to side and limping down the hallway with my arms out in front of me to keep from running into the walls, I realize I must look like Frankenstein's monster after being shot in the foot.  The image of myself as the green-faced goon with the aby-normal brain, or in this case ear and foot, made me LOL! at 3 a.m.  And for the rest of the day, as well.

1 comment:

  1. What do you do with a drunken sailor?
    Put 'er in the lock-up 'til she's sober.
    What do you do with a drunken sailor,
    Early in the mornin'?!

    ReplyDelete